- A great day for the lab at the annual Luke Stebbins Undergraduate Symposium. This symposium provides students in the Dept. of Biological Sciences an opportunity to present the results of their Independent or Honour’s research projects. Top prize for ‘Best Student Presentation’ went to Scott Kennedy for his talk ‘Age structure and horn configuration of harvested Dall’s sheep from the MacKenzie Mountains, N.W.T.’. The runner-up prize went to Jonathon Reid for his talk ‘Multi-parasitism in a fathead minnow, trematode, and myxozoan system: interspecific competition or facilitation’?
- Congratulations to Sarah Unrau for winning top prize at the annual ‘Research Image Prize’ at the University of Lethbridge. Click here to see the image and the associated story: http://www.uleth.ca/graduate-studies/our-students-experience/images-rese...
- Brad van Paridon defended his Ph. D. thesis. Thanks to Dr. Patrick Hanington (U of Alberta) for being External Examiner. Well done Brad!
- Congratulations to Micky Ahn, a new M.Sc. in the lab for being award a Tuition Scholarship from University of Lethbridge School of Graduate Studies and an NSERC CREATE HPI Entrance Scholarship. Well done Micky!
- Goater’s return from sabbatical on Saltspring Island. We left Saltspring in the snow and arrived in Lethbridge to even more snow…
- Congratulations to Brad van Paridon for contributing a guest blog in the journal Scientific American. The article is entitled ‘You know those parasites that control our brains?’. You can read his article here: https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/you-know-those-parasites-that-control-our-brains/
- Goaters leave for sabbatical adventures on Saltspring Island, B.C.
- Congratulations to Natalia Philips for successfully defending her M.Sc.
- Melissa Beck successfully defended her Ph.D. thesis. Thanks to Dr. Susan Kutz (U Calgary) for visiting the lab as External Examiner.
- Congratulations to Brad van Paridon, winner of a grant from the National Center of Veterinary Parasitology for his project ' Population genetics of emerging liver fluke in North America'.
- Zach Dempsey was awarded funds from the Alberta Conservation Association Grant in Biodiversity to support his work on endangered land snails and their parasites.
- Melissa Beck was appointed as Specialist, Infectious Disease Control, Lethbridge and District Health Authority
- Sam Woodman is the 2015 U of L Gold Medal Winner. This is our University’s top annual award for achievement at the undergraduate level. Awesome job Sam!
- Stefanie Reimer won the Cas Lindsey Best Student Paper Award at the Annual Meeting of the Canadian Society of Zoologists at U of Calgary
- Brad van Paridon won the Murray Fallis Best Student Paper Award at the Annual Meeting of the Canadian Society of Zoologists at U of Calgary
- Melissa Beck competed in the annual Cameron Award for top Ph.D. thesis at the Annual Meeting of the Canadian Society of Zoologists at U of Calgary
- Stephanie Reimer successfully defended her M. Sc. Thesis. Thanks to Dr. David Lesbarreres (Laurentian U) for visiting the lab as External Examine