Office: EP 1202
Lab: EP 1209
My lab employs in vivo optical methods such as two-photon microscopy and voltage sensitive dye imaging, to study neural activity on the subcellular, cellular, and circuit level in real-time. My research focuses on the physiological and computational basis of sensory perception and associative learning at the level of individual neurons and their synaptic interactions within complex neural circuits.
- B.Sc. & M.Sc., Electronic and Biomedical Engineering, AmirKabir University Technology.
- Ph.D., Neuroscience, 2007, International School of Advanced Studies.
- Postdoctoral fellowship, 2013, University of British Columbia.
I am currently looking for:
- Post-doctoral fellow with experience in in vivo two-photon imaging and animal surgery. Excellent communication skills are a must. Experience in MATLAB will be an asset.
- Master and Ph.D. graduate students interested in learning in vivo optical imaging.
- Optical specialist, see this link for more information.
- Animal surgery technician, see this link for more information.
Please contact Dr. Mohajerani by email with a CV and one page cover letter.
- Mohajerani MH *, Chan, AW *, Mohsenvand M, LeDue J, Liu R, McVea D, Boyd J, Reimer M, Wang YT, Murphy TH (2013). Spontaneous intracortical activity alternates between sensory motifs defined by region-specific axonal projections. Nature Neuroscience 16;1426–1435 PMID: 23974708 (*equal co-first author) (Selected for Journal Cover).
- Lim DH, LeDue J, Mohajerani MH, Vanni MP, Murphy TH (2013). Optogenetic approaches for functional mouse brain mapping. Frontiers in Neuroscience 10;7:54 PMID: 23596383.
- Chen S, Mohajerani MH, Murphy TH (2012). Optogenetic analysis of neuronal excitability during global ischemia reveals selective deficits in sensory processing following reperfusion in mouse cortex. Journal of Neuroscience 32(39):13510-13519 PMID: 23015440.
- McVea D, Mohajerani MH, Murphy TH (2012). Studying the structure and function of cortical activity in developing rodents using VSD imaging in vivo. Journal of Neuroscience 8;32(32):10982-94. PMID: 22875932.
- Lim DH *, Mohajerani MH *, Boyd J, LeDue J, Chen S, Murphy TH (2012). Exogenous activation of output neurons using channelrhodopsin-2 reveals sensory maps and intracortical relationships. Front Neural Circuits 6:11. PMID: 22435052. (*equal co-first author) (Selected as Tier2 publication and become a Focused Review to be published in Frontiers in Neuroscience).
- Mohajerani MH, Aminoltejari K, Murphy TH (2011). Targeted mini-strokes produce changes in inter-hemispheric sensory signal processing that are indicative of dis-inhibition within minutes. PNAS 108(22): E183-E192. PMID: 21576480. (Highlighted by Nature 2011; 473:423).
- Mohajerani MH, McVea D, Fingas M, Murphy TH (2010). Mirrored bilateral processing of slow wave cortical activity within local circuits revealed by fast bi-hemispheric voltage-sensitive dye imaging in anesthetized and awake mice. Journal of Neuroscience 30(10):3745-51. PMID: 20220008. (Recommended in Faculty of 1000 Biology).
- Sigler A, Mohajerani MH, Murphy TH (2009). Voltage sensitive dye imaging reveals re-distribution of sensory-evoked activity through existing pathways within an hour of stroke in mice. PNAS 106(28):11759-64. PMID: 19571005.
- Sivakumaran S, Mohajerani MH, Cherubini E (2009). At immature mossy-fiber-CA3 synapses, correlated presynaptic and postsynaptic activity persistently enhances GABA release and network excitability via BDNF and cAMP-dependent PKA. Journal of Neuroscience 25;29(8):2637-47. PMID: 19063969. (Selected for Journal of Neuroscience Journal Club).
- Mohajerani MH, Sivakumaran S, Zacchi P, Aguilera P, Cherubini E (2007). Correlated network activity enhances synaptic efficacy via BDNF and the ERK pathway at immature CA3 CA1 connections in the hippocampus. PNAS 104: 32:13176-6. PMID: 17656555.
- Mohajerani MH, Cherubini E (2006). Role of giant depolarizing potentials in shaping synaptic currents in the developing hippocampus, Critical Review in Neurobiology. 18:1-2:13-23. PMID: 17725505.
- Mohajerani MH, Cherubini E (2005). Spontaneous recurrent network activity in organotypic rat hippocampal slices, European Journal of Neuroscience 22:1:107-12. PMID: 16029200.
- Raffaelli G, Saviane C, Mohajerani MH, Pedarzani P, Cherubini E (2004). BK potassium channels control transmitter release at CA3-CA3 synapses in the rat hippocampus., The Journal of Physiology-London 557:1:147-57. PMID: 15034127.
- Saviane C, Mohajerani MH, Cherubini E (2003). An ID-like current that is downregulated by Ca2+ modulates information coding at CA3-CA3 synapses in the rat hippocampus. The Journal of Physiology-London 552:2:513-12. PMID: 14561833.