I am always happy to discuss potential research projects with graduate and undergraduate students. In some cases, Independent Study or Honour's projects can arise as a component of summer employment opportunities in my lab. I also have a long history of co-supervising undergraduate research projects with colleagues based at the Lethbridge Research Station, especially Dr. Doug Colwell and Dr. Kevin Floate. Many of the examples of previous Independent Studies that I list below arose from initial expressions of interest from keen students.
Examples of previous Independent Studies in the lab:
- Flower choice in zombie ants infected with larvae of Dicrocoelium dendriticum
- Host-related and between-lake variation in prevalence and intensity of Ichthyocotylurus erraticus metacercariae in lake whitefish (Coregonus clupeaformis).
- Growth and reproduction of a generalist parasite in alternative hosts: Dicrocoelium dendriticum in sheep versus cattle.
- Interactions between falciparum malaria and HIV: a literature review
- Variation of larval fluke (Dicrocoelium dendriticum) intensity in Formica spp. ants: effects of site and size
- Phylogeography of land snails, Oreohelix spp., in Cypress Hills Provincial Park, AB
- Tardigrade biodiversity and density on mosses from fescue grasslands in southern Albert
- Antibody imaging and confocal microscopy of the tegument of the trematode Dicrocoelium dendriticum
- Paleolimnology of Tyrrell Lake sediments
- GI parasites of sheep in Alberta
- Spatial variation of defense morphology of zooplankton in Waterton Lakes
- Histology of a brain-encysting parasites of fathead minnows
Ideas for Independent Studies in the lab:
- Behaviour of minnows infected with two species of trematode larvae: A test of the hitchhiker hypothesis
- The ‘devil’s dance’: Behavioural attraction of trematode larvae towards host versus non-host snails
- Behaviour of Hyallela (Amphipoda) infected with a larval acanthocephalan
- Overwinter survival of nematode larvae of horses on Alberta pasture
- Swimming performance of trematode-infected minnows in an experimental flume
- Thermal tolerance of minnows infected with a brain-encysting trematode